I'm sorry if you all are sick of The Hobbit by now, but I really like J.R.R.Tolkien's method of writing it - it's really funny. So bear with me here!
The stars were comming out behind him in a pale sky barred with black when the hobbit crept through the enchanted door and stole into the Mountain. It was far easier going than he had expected.
After a while Balin bade Bilbo "Good luck!" and stopped where he cound still see the faint outline of the door, and by a trick of the echoes of the tunnel hear the rustle of the whispering voices of the others just outside. Then the hobbit slipped on his ring, and warned by the echoes to take more than hobbit's care to make no sound, he crept noiselessly down, down, down into the dark.
"Now you are in for it at last, Bilbo Baggins," he said to himself. "You went and put your foot right in it that night of the party, and now you have got to pull it out and pay for it!"
He went still on and on, till all signs of the door behind had faded away. Soon he thought it was beginning to feel warm. "Is that a kind of a glow I seem to see coming right ahead down there?" he thought.
It was. As he went forward it grew and grew till there was no doubt about it. Also it was undoubtedly hot it the tunnel.
It was at this point that Bilbo stopped. Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did. The tremendous things that happened afterwards wew as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in the tunnel alone, before he even saw the vast danger that lay in wait.
Poor Bilbo!! But, of course, he got out of it all right - he always does - and lived to a ripe old age. (and old is right!)
For how much longer do we have to bear with you?
ReplyDeletedepends, when I run out of funny passages, or until I type the whole book!
ReplyDeleteYou've already done so...typed the whole book, I mean.
ReplyDeleteyeah right!
ReplyDelete