Monday, March 22, 2010

Second Extract from The Hobbit - Riddle Contest

"Ssss" said Gollum, and became quite polite. "Praps we sits here and chats with it a bitsy, my preciousss. It likes riddles, praps it does, does it?"
"Very well," said Bilbo, who was anxious to agree, until he found out more about the creature. "You ask first," he said, because he had not time to think of a riddle.
So Gollum hissed;
What has roots as nobody sees,
is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?
"Easy!" said Bilbo. "Mountains, I suppose."
"Does it guess easy? It must have a competition with us, my preciousss. If precious asks and it doesn't answe, we eats it, my preciousss. If it asks us, and we dosen't answer, then we does what it wants, eh? We shows it the way out, yes!"
"All right!"said Bilbo, not daring to disagree, and nearly bursting his brain to think of riddles that could save him from being eaten.
thirty white horses on a red hill,
first they champ,
then they stamp,
then they stand still.
That was all he could think of to ask - the idea of eating was rather on his mind. It was rather an old one, too, and Gollum knew the answer as well as you do.
"Chestnuts, chestnuts," he hissed. "Teeth!Teeth! my preciousss, but we have only six!"


Whether you knew the answe or not dosen't matter, but I'll let you know that poor Bilbo did not get eaten. Rather the opposite, as he gained something useful - and very dangerous. But of course you know that, preciousss...

15 comments:

  1. Rebekah are you copying from the book or typing from memory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. copying, my dear Nora. I have not memorized the whole book - although some people seem to think I should have - right, Tyler?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler? I am the ninja that lives under his bed... And. Yes you should memorize it. On that note... Bow to your sensai!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bekah, a little birdie told me you didn't like my picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have learned from experience that little birdies don't have names but I think I can put a name to this one...right, Anaja? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I really do like your picture, but...I liked mine better. Sorry!

    P.S. - for those of you who didn't see the other picture, I took it. That's why I like it so much. But in all seriousness, I do like it, and I should tell that little birdie to not tell things like that. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, Mr. Ninja, have YOU memorized the whole book? If not, then you are not my sensai, therefore I do not have to bow to you. So there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad thought it was too dark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The picture, I thought that was what we were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's too many conversations going on!! Yes, back to the picture. I think your dad is right, but I STILL liked it. Oh, well, can't have everything, can we? (I wish)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could have the sensai?

    :) Now I'm just making confusion...as usual!

    ReplyDelete